This post is also available in: Spanish
Join us in Salt Lake City this September 12-14 for the Annual International Conference of Affirmation – LGBT Mormons, Families & Friends! “This is The Place” is a conference for celebrating our lives, our spirituality, and our heritage. The Place to be authentic as LGBT/SSA and Mormon. The Place for joy, healing, spirit, and celebration. It’s also The Place for families, parents, friends and church leaders of LGBT/SSA Mormons to come together and support their loved ones in their journeys. Visit the conference website at www.thisistheplace.affirmation.org for details.
Conference Registration Goes-Up August 12! Register Soon!
Register here to receive the discounted rate for conference. Full prices begin August 12!
Discounted Hotel Rooms for Conference:
The University Guest House has discounted rooms available for This is the Place Annual Affirmation Conference. $105/room which can be shared by 2-4 people. Call 801-587-1000 to book your room. Be sure to tell them you’re with Affirmation to get your discount! Hurry, these discounts will only be available until August 11.
Sample Topics Include:
• Reconciling being LGBT and Mormon. Finding a place of harmony in your life where you are at peace with both aspects of self.
• Learning self-protection strategies and techniques in the face of conflict, misunderstanding and/or rejection by family, friends, and church members.
• Identifying and working through various life transitions that may promote a more healthy and productive life.
• Building a beautiful life and family together with your current or future spouse/partner/companion.
• Finding ways to grow spiritually as either an LGBT active, inactive, or former Mormon.
• Sharing of individual authentic testimonies and spiritual stories.
• Seeing the subject of homosexuality in the scriptures through an affirming perspective.
• Learning how to be a support to your family member, friend or fellow church member who has told you about their sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
• Sharing examples of how LDS priesthood and auxiliary leaders are creating welcoming and inclusive ward communities and empowering LGBT/SSA Mormons to make valuable contributions in the Church despite relationship or official Church worthiness status.
• Learning about the history of LGBT Mormons and Affirmation’s elders.
We have a great line-up of speakers and entertainers, see the details at www.thisistheplace.affirmation.org/speakers/.
We will also socialize, rekindling old friendships and making new ones as we learn, sing, eat, and dance. We will also visit and have Saturday’s lunch together at the historic This is The Place State Park.
This year you will also have the opportunity to gather in Affirmation’s Affinity Groups to discuss topics that YOU will help identify and refine based on the Affinity Group that interests you and your input prior to conference. Register sooner than later so you can influence the subject of your group.
See you soon!
Bring your family and friends again with you this year! Our 2013 conference was attended by over 400 people, many of whom said it was a transformational experience in their lives. We had mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, grandmothers, brothers, sisters, friends, allies, and church leaders from all over the world attend! We expect as many or more this year.
Affirmation – LGBT Mormons, Families & Friends
#ThePlace #Affirmation #LDSLGBT