Who We Are
Affirmation creates worldwide communities of safety, love, and hope and promotes understanding, acceptance, and self-determination of individuals of diverse sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions. We affirm the inherent self-worth of LGBTQIA+ individuals as complete, equal, and valuable persons and support them as they define their individual spirituality and intersection with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
To be a refuge to land, heal, share, and be authentic.
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, asexual, and intersex Latter-day Saints often find ourselves in crisis and isolation as we initially confront the challenges of being at the intersections of sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, faith, and our relationships with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, our communities, and our families. Affirmation seeks to be a refuge to land where we can find safety, love, and hope through connection and engagement with others in the LGBTQIA+ Latter-day Saint community.
As LGBTQIA+ current and former Latter-day Saints find refuge within the communities created by Affirmation and recognize our inherit self-worth as complete, equal, and valuable persons able to self-determine our identity, individual spirituality, and intersection with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we are able to heal.
As part of our passing from crisis to healing within the refuge that Affirmation provides for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and queer current and former Latter-day Saints, we share our stories, talents, and insights with one another while seeking to support, understand, and respect each other as we individually define our spirituality and intersection with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Our vision is that as Affirmation is a refuge for LGBTQIA+ current and former Latter-day Saints to land, heal, and share, that we find in ourselves the ability to be authentic in living our lives with the knowledge that we are complete, equal, and valuable persons in all places.
Our Strategic Plan (2021-2023)
In Affirmation’s 40+ year history of creating and sustaining a community of support for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer individuals with a current or former relationship with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it has been important that Affirmation review and renew and revise its mission, vision, and objectives from time to time to best serve the present needs of the people the organization serves. To this end, this strategic plan has been developed.
- Build Human-Centered Capacity and Resources: We will build diverse worldwide communities where all who engage with Affirmation feel known and cared for, are able to access helpful resources, are connected with others in Affirmation online and in-person, and have the opportunity and resources to contribute toward achieving Affirmation’s mission.
- Cultivate Spiritual Well-being: We will encourage and provide opportunities for the exploration of spirituality by all in Affirmation, help all understand their inherent self-worth and spiritual equality, and support all in defining how they intersect with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or as they embark on diverse spiritual paths.
- Increase Visibility and Accessibility: We will expand our ability to reach and be found by those who would benefit from Affirmation’s communities and resources, increase awareness of Affirmation within the LGBTQIA+ Latter-day Saint community, provide resources in diverse languages and formats, and effectively communicate Affirmation’s mission and impact.
- Foster Collaboration and Dialogue: We will seek partnerships with organizations serving the LGBTQIA+ Latter-day Saint and interfaith communities and those serving the wider LGBTQIA+ community. We will seek opportunities, and empower all in Affirmation who desire, to effectively dialogue with leaders and members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to promote greater understanding and acceptance.
- Develop Financial Strength: We will identify, engage with, and build relationships with those willing to financially support the mission of Affirmation. We will be transparent and accountable for how fiscal resources are used and their impact.