Affirmation Board Proposes New Charter and Bylaws for Affirmation
July 6, 2018
On Sunday, May 20, 2018, the Affirmation Board voted to propose a new Charter and Bylaws for Affirmation. Among other things, the new Charter and Bylaws:
- Change the name of Affirmation from “AFFIRMATION: GAY AND LESBIAN MORMONS” TO “AFFIRMATION: LGBTQ MORMONS, FAMILIES & FRIENDS.” (Language in the new Charter and Bylaws is amended throughout to be inclusive of bi, trans, queer, intersex and asexual Mormons and former Mormons.)
- Add language about Affirmation’s principles and values.
- Clarify the roles and responsibilities of the President, Executive Committee, Board and Executive Director. In general the changes give the President and Executive Committee responsibility for setting the goals and overall direction of the organization; they give the Board responsibility for approving policies and ensuring compliance with Affirmation’s mission; they give the Executive Director responsibility for executing policies and supporting the executive committee in accomplishing the goals of the organization.
- Extend the term of the President to two years instead of one year (to go into effect after the end of the current president’s one-year term).
- Add language necessary for compliance with the laws of the various countries in which Affirmation is or will be organized as a legal entity.
Those who wish to compare the proposed changes in Charter and Bylaws to the currently existing Charter and Bylaws can access and download PDF’s of them here:
- Current Charter and Bylaws
- Proposed Charter and Bylaws, approved by the Affirmation Board May 20, 2018
- Carta e Estatutos atuais
- Carta e Estatutos propostos por o conselho de Afirmacão em 20 de Maio de 2018
Voting members of Affirmation (i.e., members who have paid their membership donation of $25 in the US and Europe and $5 in Latin America within the past year) will receive an electronic ballot this weekend with instructions on how to vote.
If anyone has questions about the proposed Charter and Bylaws amendments, please email us at [email protected]