“Celebrate the Light Within” at the 2015 Affirmation International Conference in Provo, Utah September 17-20
This coming weekend many of us will gather together in Provo, Utah for our 34th annual international conference. If you haven’t yet registered but plan to attend, please register today at: conference.affirmation.org
A Pre-Conference Potluck Social will be held Thursday, September 17 at Provo’s North Park from 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. No registration is required for this event. Bring a side dish to share.
For those planning to attend the conference, here are some things to remember:
REGISTRATION is open Friday from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., and Sundayfrom 8 a.m. – 9 a.m. on the 2nd floor of the Utah Valley Convention Center.
TRANSPORTATION: If coming from the airport you can take the TRAX Light Rail to the FrontRunner (Commuter Rail) at the North Temple Station. Take the FrontRunner to the Provo Central Station. The venue is located 6 blocks north. For schedules visit www.rideuta.com. Please note that FrontRunner service is closed on Sundays, so you will need to find alternate transportation.
PARKING: Free public parking is available to the west and north of the venue. Click here for a parking map.
PROGRAM: More details are being added daily to the conference website. Visit the schedule of events page to learn more.
GENERAL BUSINESS MEETING: Please plan to join us for this meeting on Friday at 3 p.m. Randall Thacker is stepping down from his 3-year term as president at the end of this year, so this will be your opportunity to hear from and ask questions of the 3 fine people who are running to be Affirmation’s next president.
FIRST TIMERS: If this is your first Affirmation Conference, plan to join us for our First Timer’s session at 4:30 p.m. where you can learn from others about what to expect during the conference.
SING IN THE CHOIR! If you’d like to sing in Affirmation’s Instant Choir, then plan to join us for choir practices! It’s also a great way to make new friends!
ATTIRE: You are welcome to dress however is most comfortable for you. Some people dress more formally for the Sunday programs, but it is not required.
We look forward to seeing many of you in just 5 days! If you have any questions please feel free to email us at [email protected].
Many of us have experienced the feeling of hiding our light, fearful of what others may say, or how we may be welcomed at home and at church. We gather together this year to discover and celebrate the light within all of us and the diverse ways in which our Affirmation family experiences and shares that light.
Below are some of the featured speakers:
- Tyler Glenn, gay Mormon and lead singer for the hit rock band Neon Trees
- Fiona & Terryl Givens, renowned authors of many books on Mormonism, including their recent works: The God Who Weeps and The Crucible of Doubt
- Kate Kendell, Executive Director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights,who grew up as a Latter-day Saint in Utah
- Sara Jade Woodhouse, active Mormon Transgender woman who tirelessly works to promote better understanding of transgender people everywhere
- Samuel Wolfe, civil rights attorney and gay Mormon who founded and leads the Southern Poverty Law Center’s LGBT Rights Project
- Laura Skaggs Dulin, a mental health professional who is helping LGBT Mormons move beyond the reparative therapy framework to an evidence-based multicultural approach
- Randall Thacker, Affirmation President, will share his memories of the past 3 years, reflect on Affirmation’s increasing impact worldwide, and share his hopes for the future